The Veuve and Mars Bar slice charity challenge.
In New Zealand, we support KidsCan.
To meet the physical and nutritional needs of Kiwi kids less fortunate than others so they can be more engaged in their education and have a better chance of reaching their potential in life.
Our vision is of a New Zealand where less fortunate children have an equal opportunity to make a positive contribution to society.
1 in 4 children NZ children live in poverty (over 260,000).
The charity has four core programmes and targets those most in need:
• Food for Kids
• Raincoats for Kids
• Shoes for Kids
• Health for Kids
Since KidsCan started in 2005 we have provided:
• 70,000 raincoats to keep children warm and dry
• 40,000 pairs of shoes and 80000 pairs of socks which prevent foot injury and keep little feet warm and allow children to join in at school
• 430 schools received support in 15 regions throughout New Zealand
• 99,770 items of clothing distributed so far this year
• 12,500 children a week received the ‘Food for Kids’ programme
• 60,000 basic hygiene items
• 1,000 prescriptions funded for medicine for sick children
• 1,552,419 individual food items sent to KidsCan Partner Schools
• 117 schools are joining our Nit Busters programme 2014
• Literature reports show that school food programmes are generally associated with
improvements and in KidsCan’s key areas of interest, the results in this study showed
that improvements were noted in areas such as behaviour, concentration, attendance
and social differences.
For more info on KidsCan click here www.kidscan.org.nz